Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Good news from North Philly...

As this semester flies by and I soldier on, attempting to keep up with the reading as well as everything occurring globally, I received a bit of news this morning. A couple of weeks ago I applied for the Temple Writing Academy, which provides a variety of classes for high school students from North Philadelphia.

For those who are not well-acquainted with this area, North Philly exists as a monument to the cracks in both the capitalist and democratic systems. When I first drove through this area - on my first trip to Philly - I cried. I could never imagine growing up in a place of crumbling concrete, that seems untouched by recent development and ignored by policy makers. While I cringe at thinking myself a great "white" savior, I am happy at the opportunity to meet these young people, to hear their narratives, and to come together with them to learn. It promises so many opportunities.

I have not thought at depth about the curriculum, but I did pitch a global literature class. I have been reading "Graceland" by Chris Abani, and I had the great fortune to speak with educators like Juan Devis last summer as a part of the Media Literacy Lab's research into educators' uses of copyrighted materials. I will more than likely contact these gentlemen, to ask their opinion - other books to read. I think these young people will no doubt understand the colonial and postcolonial human traps and the consequences that have grown from these.

I am estatic, and I welcome suggestions...


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

1 comment:

aMom2E said...

Wow! Congratulations! That is great news and I know you will have such a positive impact on the young people you touch! Way to go! I am so proud to call you my friend!