Friday, July 20, 2007

Sharing is good

I wanted to share a couple of things that I've found over the past few days. One is a video is from TED of Hans Rosling. Normally I would run screaming from someone spouting numbers, but this guy has a great way of visualizing data that simply astounds me. And I love what he says when he speaks about AIDS in Africa, because the distribution of wealth WITHIN countries is stark, so solutions must be HIGHLY contextualized.



Another tidbit that I wanted to share is a writer who has written far more eloquently than I about the RED campaign and Africa. Her article for the American.com has drawn some fire, so I will include a link to both the article about the RED campaign and her response.

Africans to Bono...


AddThis Social Bookmark Button

2 comments:

John said...

Thanks for this informative video. I do appreciate your comments on my blog as well. I do have a link to the article you mentioned in a more recent post. I have a passion for Africa in general and have a tag for posts related to such. I will definitely be visiting your blog in the future. Great blessings on the Phd.
John

stupid american said...

Thanks, John. I think often we can get lost in numbers, especially when their use is twisted to suit someone's purpose. But the video helps elucidate their meaning and their relationships. Hope to see you soon, as I will also check in with your blog.